This Advent season, the Lawrence County Youth Network is teaming together to bring you weekly videos, discussion questions, and an overview podcast. Each week we will be reflecting on one of the main themes of Advent: Hope, Peace, Joy, and Love.
What do you think of when you think about Peace? Is it a cozy winter day reading a book and drinking hot chocolate under your sherpa-lined blanket? Is it binging Netflix with no other responsibilities to worry about? Is it your parents finally getting along, or at least pretending to? Is it the end to a military conflict overseas?
I would think for most of us, Peace means a sense that all is right in the world – or at least in our world. Let’s think about Peace as we begin. This first video is one of my favorite Christmas songs by Peter Hollens, called “December Song.”
Peace that Surpasses Understanding
In this week’s teaching video, Gabe Garcia from Mt. Pleasant Christian Church brings us a message about Peace. Check it out, and then spend some time working through the discussion questions below.
Think It Through
Feel free to leave your thoughts and answers in the comment section below.
- Share your favorite scene from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
- Talk about a time you felt like a misfit.
- Talk about how you define what peace is.
- Share place in your life where you need some peace. Talk about what peace looks like in that place.
- The Hebrew word for peace is Shalom. It’s a word that means completion and restoration as well as peace the way we think of it. Discuss how this impacts the way you understand peace.
- Discuss how peace and how you view yourself might be connected.
- Talk about how being thankful might impact your ability to find peace.
Right click (or long press on mobile) to download the image and then set it as your phone lock screen wallpaper.
This week, Deb McCray, Mark Thompson, and I discuss the topic of Peace more in depth. Enjoy!