Everyday carry (EDC) refers to the items we carry with us on a consistent daily basis. As we work our way through the modern world, there are certain events we want to be prepared for, including emergency situations.
EDC has become increasingly popular over the last few years. I don’t know why, but I find it really interesting to see what other people choose to carry with them throughout their daily lives. I don’t know much about who they are, but I can tell that they lead VERY different lives from mine. I can think of very few situations in which I would ever need to carry a gun or two guns or a set of nunchucks.
You can check out everydaycarry.com for more inspiration and uploads. Or you can even search “Everyday Carry” on Amazon to find some really cool deals.
Here’s what I carry with me practically every single day.
- iPhone SE 64GB with gray & blue Otterbox Commuter case
- Timex Expedition watch, matte black with blue second hand accent and interchangeable 20mm nylon straps (I have gray, blue, black, brown, and olive)
- Forrest & Harold slimeline wallet, mostly for cards, with a money clip for holding cash
- Cheap-o Foster Grant sunglasses from Wal-Mart
- Gerber Swagger knife with assisted opening
- Key ring (my Civic, our Highlander, the church van, house key, church key)
- I also almost always have a drink with me (not pictured) – either coffee in my Stanley vacuum travel mug (best travel mug EVER!), or a Contigo water bottle with flip-up drinking nozzle
My EDC is pretty minimal. I don’t feel the need to carry a ton with me through my everyday life. But if I leave the house without these essentials, I feel almost naked.
MY EVERY-WORKDAY CARRY
On work days, I grab all of the above on my person / in my pockets. But I also have what I consider my mobile office. I have everything I need to do (most of) my work wherever I go.
- Macbook Pro 2012 – 500GB Hard Drive, 8GB RAM – the majority of my work takes place right here
- Kindle Fire 8HD
- Moleskin 8.25″x5″ lined journal
- NIV Slimline Bible
- 3 Pens – my favorites are the Pilot G2 .38mm
- Small Altoids (for combatting coffee breath)
- A fold-up carrying case for my various cords, etc. (2 microUSB charge cords, 1 6ft Lightning charger, plug-in headphones, 1 USB drive, a microfiber cleaning cloth, and a Gerber Mini Multitool)
- Power Cord for MacBook Pro
- Leather Messenger Bag (HLC brand from Amazon)
THE THINGS WE CARRY
So what about you? What do you carry with you? Take some time and really think through what you have and why you have it. But do this for more than your possessions and tools. Think about all the other stuff we carry – our relationships, our stress, our anxiety, our worries, our fears, our memories, our emotional baggage. What do you really need? And what do you need to shed?